It should come as no surprise to anyone that marriage is hard. Many couples will experience common troubles throughout their time together. Facing hardships and dealing with them together as a couple is the only way that you will make it through these difficult ordeals.
When you first tie the knot, you make promises to one another. They are known as your marriage vows. While stating these vows you say that you will stay together for better or worse, in sickness and health, and for richer or poorer.
Have you ever wondered why we say these things during a marriage ceremony? We say them because every couple will face troubling hardships throughout their lives. And it’s often difficult to overcome them, but certainly not impossible.
Here are 5 marital hardships that many couples face. We’ll also share ways to help overcome them.
5 Marital Hardships and Ways to Overcome Them
- Financial difficulties – in today’s struggling society, couples seem to face financial difficulties now more than ever. It is possible to overcome them. And it is possible to alleviate the stress caused by financial problems. While in a relationship, commit to live simply, create a plan, and never keep financial secrets from one another. And if you’re really struggling, fundraising sites are the perfect answer to your financial prayers.
- Child difficulties – life is hard. There is no denying it. And life is hard on children. When kids struggle in life, they often take it out on their parents. You can have the most well behaved children on the planet and still face difficulties that can even get between you and your spouse. Remember that your marriage must come first before everything, even your children. And this will help solidify your relationship and bring you closer together.
- Sickness – as a couple, you will rely on one another all the time. But when one spouse gets sick, and begins to break down on a physical level, it’s often hard for the other member of the marriage to cope. But all hope is not lost. If you love this person, you will thrive. You will find strength from within to overcome these difficulties and come through for your loved one during their time of need. Having a winning spirit will make a huge difference when things seem their worst.
- Empty nest syndrome – at some point in your marriage, your children will become the main focus of your relationship. If you have kids, this is certainly inevitable. But remember, your children are going to leave the nest at some point. And you will experience empty nest syndrome if they have been your major focus. At this point, it’s time to rediscover your relationship with your spouse. Take all the time that you used to spend on your children and spend it getting to know one another again.
- Careers – careers often cause hardship during a marriage. In some instances, a spouse may focus solely on their career and leave their marriage by the wayside. It doesn’t need to be this way. Talk about career advancement as a couple and come to an agreement about how to proceed.
Overcoming marital hardships might seem impossible at the time. But if you follow these guidelines you’ll see that it really is possible to get your relationship back on track.